We have quite a few military people call us, wanting to get into our industry. Generally, they have some good leadership skills, good discipline, do not mind the work schedules, and make pretty good hands. However, they do not have experience or training in our industry. Furthermore, the IADC is not an accredited agency with the Department of Education, so the GI Bill cannot be used to fund their courses. (I have written Brenda Kelly to see about getting the IADC approved.)
MDS has put together a robust scholarship program to offer our military veterans. The scholarships go towards their tuition for the course they are taking. The scholarship does not include any cash given out. The soldier would still have to pay the balance of the tuition as well as his own housing and food expenses during the course. Below are the scholarships that we will give for select courses at MDS:
Practical Drilling Technology (PDT) Course
- Cost: $2,800.00
- Scholarship available: $1,500.00
Well Control - Level 2 (WC-2)
- Level 2 Well Control Certification (IADC only)
- Cost: $1,400.00
- Scholarship available: $700.00
Operational Drilling Technology (ODT) Course
- Level 4 Well Control Certification (IADC only)
- Cost: $5,100.00
- Scholarship available: $2,000.00
(We do not recommend this course for inexperienced people,but rather the WC-2 or PDT.)
To qualify for the military scholarship, the following criteria must be met.
- Must have served in one of the various branches of the military (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy).
- Must be honorably discharged from the military within the past three years.
- Must not be currently employed in the oil and gas industry.
- Must submit an application to MDS for the scholarship.
- Must submit a copy of their DD214.
- Must provide three character references and contact numbers
- Must provide current resume
- Must pay in advance the balance of the tuition for the course being taken.
Click here to download the Military Scholarship Application.
All applications must be submitted to and approved by Laura Ringler. Please submit by email: